The government has distributed approximately 12.5 million property cards through the Swamitva scheme.
- According to the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, the work of flying drones in 2.89 lakh villages under the scheme has been completed.
- The Panchayati Raj Ministry further said that around 18 lakh participants have received training under the Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan (RGSA) in the current year.
- It further said that 42 panchayats were given awards on the basis of their achievements.
- According to the ministry, after getting the approval, this year 21,05,628 gram panchayats have uploaded their citizen charters.
- SVAMITVA (Survey of villages and mapping with advanced technology in rural areas) Scheme:
- It was launched as a Central Sector Scheme on 24 April 2020.
- Its main objective is to create a socio-economically strong and self-reliant rural India.
- It will cover 6.62 lakh villages in the country by 2021-2025.
Jharkhand government has reduced the qualifying age for old age pension for tribals and Dalits to 50 years.
Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren has declared a reduction in the qualifying age for old age pension for tribals and Dalits from 60 years to 50 years.
The government has taken this decision because the mortality rate among tribals is high and they do not get jobs after 60 years.
When Jharkhand was designed in 2000, only 16 lakh people were accomplishment pension reimbursements.
Françoise Bettencourt Meyers becomes the richest woman in the world.
Françoise Bettencourt Meyers has become the richest woman in the world. According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, his wealth has crossed the $100 billion ($100.1 billion) mark. Myers is the inheritor of L’Oreal, the biggest beauty company globally.
- French woman Myers has registered her name in the pages of history.
- Myers and his family own a 34 percent stake in L’Oréal.
- She has come at number 12 in the list of the world’s richest people.
- Elon Musk tops this list with a net worth of $229 billion.
- Bernard Arnault is in second place with a wealth of $179 billion and Jeff Bezos is in third place with a wealth of $176.8 billion.
- Ambani and Adani are at 13th and 15th position respectively.
- Bloomberg News, an American news agency, publishes the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, which showcases the wealthiest individuals worldwide.
IAS officer Sudhansh Pant selected as Chief Secretary of Rajasthan.
Sudhansh Pant, the present Union Health Secretary and a 1991 batch IAS officer, has been designated as the recently appointed Chief Secretary of Rajasthan.
- Pant is the Health and Family Welfare Secretary in the Union government and has previously served as the Shipping Secretary.
- During his tenure in the ministry, he assumed a crucial responsibility in managing the dissemination of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In the past five years, he has been actively engaged in the formulation of numerous significant bills that tackle crucial matters, including the decrease in prices of drugs and medical devices. Several of these bills have subsequently evolved into pivotal policies.
- He is a resident of Khantoli Berinag of Pithoragarh district. His father Sudhansh Pant is JC, Chief Engineer of Electricity Department. Pant and mother Veena Pant was a housewife.
- His schooling was completed at St. Joseph’s College, Nainital Following this, he finished his engineering studies at IIT Kharagpur, subsequently embarking on a career in the civil service.
ISRO launches X-ray Polarimeter Satellite (XPoSat).
On January 1, 2024, at 09:10 am, the X-ray Polarimeter Satellite (XPoSat) was successfully launched by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO). The launch took place at the first launch-pad situated in Andhra Pradesh, SDSC-SHAR, Sriharikota.
This mission will help Exposat explore the secrets of the X-ray source and study the mysterious world of ‘black holes’.
XPoSat represents India’s inaugural specialized polarimetry mission aimed at investigating the diverse dynamics of luminous astronomical X-ray sources in highly challenging environments.
- XPoSat is the second rocket of its kind in the world after the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)’s Imaging X-ray Polarimetry Explorer (IXPE).
- Earlier, America-based space agency NASA had launched it in the year 2021.
- The period of this mission of ISRO is about 5 years.
- The founder of ISRO was scientist Vikram Sarabhai.
- ISRO’s current chairman S. This is Somnath.
Inauguration of various projects including airport in Ayodhya.
On December 30, 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the redeveloped Ayodhya Dham Railway Station and Maharishi Valmiki International Airport in Ayodhya.
Ayodhya Dham Railway Station has been certified as a ‘Green Station Building’ by the Indian Green Building Council.
6 Vande Bharat and 2 Amrit Bharat trains were also flagged off by the Prime Minister.
On this occasion, the Prime Minister inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of 46 development projects worth Rs 15,700 crore in Ayodhya.
Argentina will not join BRICS.
Argentina’s new President Javier Milli has refused to join BRICS. He has written a letter to other BRICS leaders including India to remove Argentina’s name from the list of new member countries.
- Presidential elections were held in Argentina in November, in which right-wing leader Javier Milla won.
- On January 1, 6 new countries were to officially become members of BRICS.
- Among these, Egypt, Iran, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Argentina were named.
- The BRICS organization was established with the aim of advocating for the interests of developing and impoverished nations across the globe.
- BRICS is a group of five countries Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- These 5 countries contribute 42% to the world population, 27% to GDP and 18% to global trade.
- India has hosted the BRICS Summit in 2012 and 2016.
China appointed Navy Chief as the new Defense Minister.
Chinese President Xi Jinping appointed Dong Jun as the new Defense Minister. He has been made the minister in place of former Defense Minister Li Shangfu. The post of Defense Minister in China was vacant for 4 months.
- Before becoming Navy Chief of the People’s Liberation Army in 2021 and attaining the rank of General, Jun was heading the Eastern Command, the most important command of the Chinese Navy.
- Subsequently, it was referred to as the Eastern Theater Command, assuming the crucial duty of integrating Taiwan into China.
- Apart from this, Jun has also been the Chief of Southern Command.
- This command handles the responsibility of the most disputed maritime area ‘South China Sea’ or South China Sea.