China and America are engaged in military exercises in the disputed South China Sea.
- China shows live-fire exercise of firing missiles with warplanes in the South China Sea.
- A tense standoff between China and the Philippines has escalated after ships collided in disputed reefs.
- The US and the Philippines conducted military exercises together, increasing regional tensions.
Andhra Pradesh increases enrollment in Pravasi Bharosa Insurance Scheme.
- Andhra Pradesh offers free enrollment in Pravasi Bharosa Bima (PBB) insurance scheme for foreign students till January 15, 2024.
- APNRTS, Chief Minister Y.S. An entity under Jagan Mohan Reddy, it facilitates various services for non-resident Telugu citizens across the world.
- PBB insurance scheme offers benefits like financial assistance of Rs 10 lakh.
West Bengal gets GI tag for honey, rice and tangail, sarees.
- West Bengal secured Geographical Indication (GI) tags for various products in the National GI Drive Mission.
- Products include Sundarban honey, black nunia rice from Jalpaiguri district, and Tangail, Gorod and Kadiyal sarees.
- West Bengal Forest Development Corporation Limited (WBFDCL) successfully obtained the GI tag for Sundarban honey, known as Mauban, collected by the ‘Mauli’ community.
Defense Ministry signs contract worth Rs 802 crore for equipment.
- Two contracts worth a total of Rs 802 crore were signed in New Delhi for military equipment acquisition.
- This includes procurement of 697 bogie open military wagons (cost: Rs 473 crore) and 56 mechanical minefield marking equipment (cost: Rs 329 crore).
- The contracts emphasize the Buy Indian category, promotion of indigenous manufacturing and private sector participation in defense production.
Piyush Goyal inaugurates India International Jewelery Trade Show.
- Piyush Goyal inaugurates IIJS 2024.
- Goyal stressed on India’s potential to become a global design destination for fashion and jewellery, making it a preferred wedding destination across the world.
- Significant investment in infrastructure including India Jewelery Park in Navi Mumbai.
- The aim is to establish India as the hub of the global gems and jewelery industry while promoting MSME development.
Education Ministry launches PRERANA: experiential learning for students.
- PRERANA, a week-long residential program launched by the Ministry of Education for students of classes 9th to 12th.
- The focus was on integrating Indian education principles and values in line with the National Education Policy 2020.
- The curriculum is based on nine value-based themes to inspire leadership qualities and unity in diversity among students.
‘Navya Ayodhya’ project gains momentum in UP.
- The ‘Navya Ayodhya’ project in UP seems to be getting success through the paying guest scheme.
- Out of 600 applicants, 464 individuals issued certificates highlighting the impact of the scheme on individual income and employment opportunities.
- This initiative focuses on showcasing the rich culinary heritage of Awadh, offering a unique gastronomic experience to saints, visitors and tourists.
Congress renamed ‘Bharat Nyay Yatra’ as ‘Bharat Jodo Nyay Yatra’.
- Congress has started ‘Bharat Jodo Nyay Yatra’ from Manipur to Mumbai from January 14.
- The march, which will pass through 14 states and 85 districts, aims to garner support ahead of the Lok Sabha elections.
- Led by Rahul Gandhi, the yatra focuses on connecting with people and addressing grassroots level issues.
Sports Ministry unveils ‘National Sports Promotion Award’.
- Odisha Mining Corporate Limited was awarded for promoting sports through Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Jain Deemed University, Bengaluru is recognized for identifying and nurturing emerging sporting talent.
- The award ceremony will be held on January 9 at Rashtrapati Bhavan, in which President Draupadi Murmu will confer the honour.
IISER Bhopal unveils key material to neutralize chemical.
- IISER Bhopal has created a groundbreaking photocatalyst, ‘UC-POP-Au’, which is capable of absorbing the entire solar spectrum.
- The material shows remarkable strength, addresses the limitations of traditional photocatalysts, and can break down chemical agents.
- The research, published in the journal Angewandte Chemie, paves the way for developing smart protective coatings against chemical warfare agents.
Bullock cart race organized to mark 265th birth anniversary of Veerapandiya.
- Thoothukudi witnessed bullock cart race on the 265th birth anniversary of Veerapandiya Kattabomman.
- The winners receive a prize of Rs 1 lakh, lamb and LED TV, which attracts crowds to watch the event.
- Held in various categories, the competition marks the celebration of the freedom fighter’s birth in Panchalankurichi, a historic village in Tamil Nadu.
Government prepares Rs 15,000 crore plan for green ghats and boats.
- The initiative of the Ministry of Shipping focuses on adopting green ships for inland water transport.
- The evolution to green energy is projected to cost Rs 15,000 crore over the subsequent decade.
- Guidelines for the programme, similar to the FAME scheme for electric vehicles, will be revealed at the Inland Waterways Development Council meeting.
Foreign Ministry expressed condolences and solidarity with Iran after the bombings.
- Randhir Jaiswal, official spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), expressed deep sorrow over the twin bomb blasts in Kerman, Iran.
- Offers solidarity with the government and people of Iran during this difficult time.
- The death toll reached 103 with 188 injured; The Iranian President accused Israel of carrying out the attacks.
Indian Railways to mount 20k GPS grounded navigation fog pass devices.
- Indian Railways will install around 20,000 GPS-based fog pass devices for smooth train operations during fog conditions.
- These devices aid navigation during dense fog by providing real-time information about fixed landmarks to locomotive pilots.
- The objective of this mission is to reduce train delays.
- CPRO (Northern Railway) Deepak Kumar stressed on the portability of the device.
All India Conference of Director Generals of Police and IGs will be organized.
- PM Narendra Modi will attend the All India Conference of Directors General and Inspectors General of Police 2023 to be held at Rajasthan International Centre, Jaipur.
- The three-day conference will discuss policing and internal security issues such as cyber crime, technology in policing, counter-terrorism, left-wing extremism, prison reforms and road map for new criminal laws.
Top 5 headlines of the evening: January 4
- Indian Missions receive ODOP awards in New York, Vancouver and Nicosia
- Actress Rupika Grover crowned Mrs. India One in a Million 2023
- Kerala Governor releases book – “Ram Mandir Rashtra Mandir A Common Heritage”
- Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi takes charge as Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff
- India to launch large communications satellite on SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket
ALSO READ –